Ex-rights chief breaks her silence over the sacking of an incoming EOC officer Former Equal Opportunities Commission chief Anna Wu Hung-yuk yesterday broke her silence over the department's sacking of a top officer before he took up his post. Ms Wu, who said she felt compelled to set the record straight, revealed that she clashed with new commission chairman Michael Wong Kin-chow during a phone call and asked him to apologise for his attitude. Ms Wu said that during the call she had proposed a joint press conference and a transitional meeting, but Mr Wong turned down the offer, telling her she had no reason to be at her own 'funeral'. She then demanded an apology. Later she wrote to Mr Wong: 'I offered you the option of holding a joint press conference and extended an invitation to you for a meal. 'You said to me I was walking into my 'funeral' ... and asked why I was pre-empting you, referring to the appointment of the director of operations. I was extremely offended. Nonetheless, you did provide me with an apology and I accepted.' Ms Wu wrote it was a 'very vituperative attack on me, impugning my integrity and professionalism'. She said there had been no attempt to pre-empt Mr Wong in the appointment of Patrick Yu Chung-yin as director (operations). Mr Yu's appointment was rescinded by Mr Wong months before he was due to begin his term at the commission next month. Yesterday, she said she was tired of suggestions 'here and there about what actually transpired' and had decided to speak out. 'I pointed out very clearly in the letter that Mr Yu was selected by a panel of five through a process that lasted for a long time - for two years in terms of restructuring the positions, simplifying procedures, the combination of two divisions and the hiring of Mr Yu,' she said. 'The appointment of a director of operations started a long time ago, was anticipated by everyone and Mr Yu was regarded unanimously by the panel to be the best person for the job.' Ms Wu said Mr Yu's interview with the South China Morning Post in July was the only known grounds cited by Mr Wong for the sacking. The announcement of Mr Yu's appointment on July 17 and an interview with him was published in the Post the next day. It was this article Mr Yu claims Mr Wong cited as one reason he was not suited for the job. In the interview, Mr Yu said he hoped to share his expertise in dealing with anti-racism laws. 'But Mr Wong said it was not my job to be making such comments to the press,' Mr Yu said Ms Wu said: 'I was aware of that interview and I had read the story subsequently. If the reasons given for his dismissal were based entirely upon the article in the Post, then my personal view is that it was an unwise decision.' Commission member Nelson Chow Wing-sun and other members confirmed that the Post article was raised at the September 18 meeting where Mr Yu's contract was discussed by the board of commissioners.