The victims' relatives are also warned against speaking to the media The families of 12 women found murdered in Shenzhen have been placed under house arrest and been warned not to talk to the media, according to an aunt of one of the victims who lives in Hong Kong. The woman, surnamed Shum, who is an aunt of victim Wu Suqiong, said plainclothes police were stationed outside the family's flat in Shenzhen to prevent members talking to the media. She said all immediate family members of the 12 victims were placed under house arrest on Wednesday after the case started to attract widespread media attention. Shenzhen police arrested Ma Yong, 43, from Hunan, and Duan Zhiqun, 20, from Sichuan last month for allegedly robbing and killing the women. Ms Shum, who went to Shenzhen this week to call for a police investigation, said some of the other victims' families had been placed in different hotels to prevent them from contacting each other. She said the Wu family members living in Shenzhen could not leave their home to go to the market to buy food. The authorities were bringing them lunchboxes. 'We haven't done anything illegal and we are the victims. I don't understand why they put the families under house arrest,' said Ms Shum, who returned to Hong Kong on Wednesday night for fear that the same thing would happen to her. She also said she feared the family phone had been tapped. Ms Shum said a sister of one of the victims, Nie Hongxia, 21, was also told by officials not to contact the media, or she would have to 'bear the consequences'. The South China Morning Post has learned that Shenzhen newspapers have been warned not to help the Hong Kong media because officials are concerned that reports would paint the city in a bad light. The women - aged between 18 and 24 - were jobseekers using a recruitment agency in Buji, Shenzhen. Ma and Duan reportedly posed as representatives for the hiring firm. The first woman was reported missing in May. Ms Shum said her family had been told the case file had been handed over to a Shenzhen court on Tuesday. Police refused to comment on the case yesterday. At least five women were reported missing before Wu Suqiong's case was reported on September 8, according to Ms Shum, who said she did not know why the authorities had taken so long to react. 'Why couldn't the police close the agency right away after so many girls had gone missing? They only closed it last month when the media highlighted the case,' she said.