Joseph Lau calls a press conference but bans journalists from consulting sources Tycoon Joseph Lau Luen-hung, caught up in a media storm after a former girlfriend and socialite revealed she tried to kill herself over their affair, yesterday told his side of the story - but only after forcing reporters to sign a confidentiality pledge. Mr Lau called a press conference at his office in Wan Chai in response to revelations this week by Rosaline Wong Wing-yue, daughter of resigned Equal Opportunities Commission chairman Michael Wong Kin-chow. But reporters were told to sign a pledge not to disclose what was said in the meeting - except in their published reports. The document effectively banned reporters from discussing Mr Lau's version of events with other sources, such as Ms Wong, before publishing today's stories. Most journalists signed the document. Reporters from the South China Morning Post and at least two other papers, Sing Tao Daily and the Hong Kong Economic Journal, refused. They were promptly ejected from the press conference. Those who signed the pledge were banned from even disclosing the content of the pledge itself. On Tuesday, Ms Wong told Commercial Radio about her attempted suicide over her six-year affair with Mr Lau when she was working as an executive for his property company. The couple's much-discussed relationship was thrust back into the spotlight by the row surrounding the resignation of Ms Wong's father from his EOC post. Mr Wong had been accused, among other things, of accepting free air tickets that originated with Mr Lau while Mr Wong was still a judge. The Hong Kong Journalists' Association last night condemned the reporting restrictions imposed by Mr Lau. 'Mr Lau should not restrict the free flow of information,' association chairwoman Cheung Ping-ling said. 'Journalists have the obligation to protect their source, but this time it is Mr Lau who called the press conference. He should not create barriers to restrict the free flow of information.'