More than 100 applications have been received since the launch in October The new investment migration scheme has attracted more than 100 applications over the past six weeks and the first batch of successful investors are already here. Assistant Director of Immigration Simon Peh Yun-lu said 101 applications had been received for the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme since it was launched on October 27. Nine applicants had been approved and the rest were still being processed. The nine successful investors, including some who have already come to Hong Kong, will bring in a total of $62 million - $19 million to be invested in property and $43 million in financial assets. There are two investors from Canada, two from the United States, one from Indonesia, one from Spain, one from Taiwan and two Chinese nationals who are permanent residents of New Zealand and the Philippines. Mr Peh said the government had also approved another 12 applicants in principle and these candidates would have to finalise their investments within six months. The wealth reports of 93 of the 101 applicants received so far show they have total assets of more than $2 billion. While the 101 applicants are from different countries and territories, 94 of them are Chinese. Under the investment scheme, applicants must invest $6.5 million in property or financial assets - or a combination of both - and the money must remain invested in Hong Kong for seven years. Successful applicants will be allowed to bring in their spouses and unmarried dependant children under 18 years of age. After seven years of continuous residence in Hong Kong, they can seek right of abode. While mainland residents are barred from joining the scheme because of foreign exchange controls, Mr Peh said the government hoped the green light recently given to local banks to conduct yuan businesses would have a positive impact on the new immigration scheme. Nationals from Afghanistan, Albania, Cuba and North Korea are also banned from the scheme for security reasons. Although nationals from Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are banned from joining another migration scheme under which applicants need to operate a business in Hong Kong, they can apply for the new one. Mr Peh said this was because the government was satisfied after a security assessment.