Perfect timing by schoolgirls
Student Swimmers Sandy Chan Wing-suet, Sze Hang-yu and Hannah Wilson all qualified for the Athens Olympics with strong performances at Kowloon Park pool over the weekend.
The Time Trials were the last chance for Hong Kong swimmers to achieve the Olympic B standard qualifying time. Nine Hong Kong swimmers have qualified for the Games now.
Hannah, a 15-year old student from Island School, rewrote the record books in beating her own 100-metre freestyle mark with a new time of 57.60 seconds. But Hannah's eligibility for the big event remains in doubt after the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) apparent decision to enforce a 'passport only' qualification for athletes this year. The Hong Kong Olympic Committee has promised to look into Hannah's case and has approached the IOC for a decision, which is still pending. Hannah also qualified for the 50m freestyle with a speedy time of 26.62 seconds on Saturday.
Diocesan Girls' School (DGS) ace Wing-suet left rivals in her wake with a time of 2 minutes 16.49 seconds in the 200m butterfly - also a new record.
Another DGS swimmer, Hang-yu, booked her place in Athens with fast times in both the 100m butterfly (1:02.08) and the 200m freestyle (2:04.97).
Swimmers who achieved Olympic qualifying times:
(one squad place per event)
Name, Event, Time
1. Tam Chi-kin, 100m breaststroke 1:04.81, 200m breaststroke 2:18.64
2. Choi Hiu-wai, 100m backstroke/crawl 1:03.93 200m backstroke/crawl 2:19.27
3. Chan Yu-ling, 50m freestyle, 0:26.21
4. Ng Tsz-kwan, 50m freestyle, 0:26.86
5. Hannah Wilson, 50m freestyle,0:26.62 100m freestyle,0:57.60
6. Poon Chek-yuen, 100m freestyle,0:57.73
7. Yip Tsz-wah, 100m breaststroke, 1:13.02
8. Sze Hang-yu, 100m butterfly, 1:02.08 200m freestyle, 2:04.97
9. Chan Wing-suet, 200m butterfly, 2:16.49