Fine quickly forgotten by trainer Ng

Robin Parke

TRAINER Gary Ng Ting-keung was fined $5,000 last night for a breach of stable security - but left Happy Valley with a mile-wide smile.

The sorry start to the evening could not have been more in contrast to the way it ended.

After a nerve-wracking five-minute wait for the outcome of a photo finish to the last race, Ng was delighted that Best One had held on to beat the fast-finishing Jewellery Star by the slimmest possible margin.

Ng was earlier paraded before the stewards following a report that he had taken owners on an unauthorised visit to his stables.

Stable security at Sha Tin has been rigorous for some time and visits by owners was a major topic last season.

A detailed report was made to the stewards and after hearing Ng and deliberating, the fine was levied.

But that was clearly all behind Ng in the euphoria of that last race success.

''He only just held on, another inch and I was beaten. I knew it was desperately close but Randy [Romero] thought he had won it,'' said Ng.

Also falling foul of the stewards last night was trainer Derek Cruz who had worked both Concert King and Filipachi on the Sha Tin grass on Tuesday morning without permission.

Cruz was fined $2,000 for the offence.

And trainer Bruce Hutchison made a lightning dash to the airport after the running of the fourth event.

He is due to go into a Melbourne hospital today for an operation to remove a gallstone from his bladder.

''It has been nagging me for some time and the doctors said it would be much better to get it removed quickly.

''I will have it done in a couple of days and I am due back in Hong Kong next Tuesday. I will have runners at next Wednesday's meeting,'' he said.

Claimer Stanley K. M. Chin had a happy night, riding a double for Ivan Allan. The excellent apprentice was keen to move to Allan last season but remained indentured to Eddie Lo Kwok-chow.

The double on Kevpal and Jade Signet should ensure further support from the powerful Allan establishment.