Pictures of troops and their prisoners shocked the world, but many in the country are not surprised For the family of Sadeq Zoman, the photographs of US troops torturing and humiliating prisoners are not particularly shocking. 'A family friend came to the house and told us he was in a hospital in Tikrit,' said Reem, Mr Zoman's 19-year-old daughter. Her father lay nearby, in a coma, the same state he was in when the family found him on September 4. The US army arrested Mr Zoman, 57, during a raid on his house in Mosul, north of Baghdad, in July. He was detained by the 4th Infantry Division until August 6, when he was delivered to a US military hospital with burns on various parts of his body, including the soles of his feet and his penis. He had suffered a blow to his head, was comatose and his right hand was broken. Today he can open his eyes but shows no response to any stimulus. His family keeps watch and feeds him. 'It took us so long to find him because the army had spelled his name wrong,' Reem said. Mr Zoman was the manager of a hospital in Mosul. Since his arrest, his family has moved to a modest house in the southern Baghdad suburb of al-Dora. They have been forced to sell most of their belongings in order to pay for his medical costs, which amount to about US$1,000. A medical report says Mr Zoman suffered a heart attack and a head wound, but his family firmly believes he was tortured. 'Our neighbour's son was arrested with him,' Reem said. 'But he is still too afraid to talk about what happened.' Public relations officers for the 4th Infantry Division, which has since returned to the US, and for the 28th Combat Hospital, where Mr Zoman was treated, could not be reached for comment. Earlier this week the US military said it conducted a 'top-level review' last autumn on the treatment of Iraqi detainees, months before commanders were told about the sexual humiliation and abuse at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison, which has created the current international uproar, a Pentagon official said. Larry Di Rita, spokesman for US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, said the review was done at the request of Lieutenant-General Ricardo Sanchez, the senior American commander in Iraq. Mr Di Rita said allegations of abuse first came to the attention of commanders in Iraq when an unidentified soldier reported to his superiors on January 13. The next day, General Sanchez ordered a criminal investigation, and since then four other probes have begun. US Brigadier-General Mark Kimmett came close to apologising at a press conference last week, saying he was 'appalled' and that US service personnel involved in the abuse of prisoners had 'let us down'. But Iraqis say they were let down long ago. The National Organisation for the Defence of Human Rights has been collecting allegations of prisoner abuse since July. 'We have a file of more than 30 cases,' said Thabat Abdul Mossan, the director of the organisation. 'The use of electric shocks, prisoners being forced to stand naked and the use of hot and cold water are all normal.' He said the allegations were countrywide, not just limited to Abu Ghraib, the former centre of Saddam Hussein's prison complex from which the highest profile allegations of torture have come. 'The most frightening case we have received is that of a man and his son who were arrested. The man was forced to watch while his son was tortured with electric shocks,' Mr Mossan said. The group had tried to file claims with the US military under the Foreign Claims Act, the same process used to obtain compensation by those who have been injured by US soldiers or lost property during home raids. The act is notorious for rejecting most of the claims because they occur in 'combat situations'.