Alleged assault by police re-enacted outside court

A CUSTOMS officer played the police officer accused of assaulting him during a re-enactment of the alleged incident, in the car park behind San Po Kong court yesterday.

Yeung Hak-kwong, 28, demonstrated how the police officer delivered two blows with a long torch in a police emergency unit van parked near a Hunghom noodle shop in the early hours of February 17.

Mr Yeung had earlier testified, at the trial of six police officers charged with assault, that he was struck on the right cheekbone and back of the head by his assailant who leaned over from the driver's seat to attack him.

The witness - one of three alleged victims - was handcuffed and sitting in the back of the van at the time of the incident.

Assembled at the car park yesterday were magistrate Kwok Wai-kin, prosecutor Michael Lunn, defence counsel Kevin Egan, and other court staff.

On trial are constables Cheung Kin-tak, 23, Tsang Yee-man, 26, Kevin Wong Chi-kin, 23, Lee Ching-cheung, 27, Cheng Wing-keung, 35, and senior constable Ng Shiu-kwan, 39.

Cheung, Lee and Ng have denied common assault while Tsang, Wong and Cheng have denied assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The other two alleged victims are customs officer Tang Kwok-keung, 28, and decorator Wong Kwok-hung, 25.

Questioned later in court by Mr Lunn, Mr Tang said he had followed a colleague, Wong Fuk-kuen, to see what was happening outside the noodle shop after they were alerted by a commotion.

Outside the shop, Mr Tang saw two police officers pressing the hands of a man behind his back with force. A third police officer was also standing there.

One police officer told Mr Wong that he and his colleagues were performing their duty.

A police officer followed them when they returned to the shop, then left to call for reinforcements.

A group of police officers later ran into the shop, with one sergeant demanding Mr Tang and his six friends produce their identity cards.

Mr Tang said an officer suddenly seized a bowl of noodles and threw it at him, spilling the contents on his body.

The witness said he tried to shield Mr Yeung from the torches and truncheons.

When a police officer hit Mr Tang with a torch, he lost his balance and squatted down, and was then struck on the back and upper arms.

Several other blows landed on Mr Tang's back after he was pressed to the ground and handcuffed.

The witness was pushed into the shop's doorway where he was punched once in the chest by a plain-clothes officer.

The hearing continues tomorrow.