Surveys by Chinese University suggest 200,000 to 300,000 people will take part in the July 1 pro-democracy march. Timothy Wong Ka-ying, a research officer with the university's Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, said the results of the surveys were an indication popular dissatisfaction about the political climate remained high. 'If people's discontent is not eased in the run-up to the march, the number of participants will be within this range of [200,000 to 300,000 people],' he said. Some 770 people were interviewed for each of the surveys, which were conducted last week and in mid-May by the institute. Respondents' overall dissatisfaction with the political situation was higher than a year ago, and they had one specific gripe. The proportion expressing discontent with central government policy towards Hong Kong has risen by half in the past 12 months, to 35 per cent, the surveys showed. Police and march organiser the Civil Human Rights Front remain at loggerheads over where the march should end. Both sides will hold further talks on Monday. Police Commissioner Dick Lee Ming-kwai yesterday suggested the year's march should end at Ice House Street instead of at the Central Government Offices (CGO) - as was the case last July 1 when 500,000 marched - because of concerns over safety and crowd control. 'Based on last year's experience, there is a limit to the number of people the CGO can handle. There could be chaos if a large crowd enters the CGO,' Mr Lee said. But Tam Chun-yin, vice-convenor of the Civil Human Rights Front, rejected the suggestion and said citizens should have the right to march to the CGO and voice their demands.