In July 1929 China Light & Power Company issued a series of shares to shareholders. However, one of the certificates, personally signed by the general manager and two directors and representing two ordinary shares, was returned to the company, address unknown. The certificate remained the property of the shareholder but was locked away in the power company's vault until 1991, when it was loaned to HKEx for an exhibition to mark 100 years of trading in the territory. Realising the historical value of the certificate, CLP followed the correct procedures to deregister the certificate. This returned ownership of the certificate to the company so that it could be displayed to the public. The original certificate would have been replaced with two up-to-date certificates. A poor substitute, but at least the shareholder can be content that their name has become a small piece of Hong Kong history.