Relatives of two trainees injured in a Wan Chai sushi bar have expressed concern at the pair being made to clean toilets instead of learning cooking skills. The pair were admitted to hospital after inhaling chemical fumes while unblocking a toilet at Genki Sushi, a ground floor sushi bar in the CRE building on Hennessy Road. A 20-year-old man was still in critical condition in Ruttonjee Hospital last night, while his workmate, aged 23, was reported to be in stable condition. A relative of one of the injured said they went to the sushi bar as trainees. They were supposed to learn how to make sushi, not clean toilets. The sushi bar declined to comment. Police said the pair were using a liquid chemical to dissolve a blockage in one of the toilets. The men emptied four bottles of a chemical into the toilet and let it stand for a while before returning, according to police. When the men re-entered the toilet one was overcome by chemical fumes and collapsed, while the other managed to get out and call for assistance. Hearing the man's cry for help, co-workers pulled them into the open air and called the police at 11.52pm. The men, one of whom had regained consciousness, were then rushed to hospital by ambulance. Police classed the incident as an industrial accident. A Labour Department spokeswoman, while confirming an investigation was under way, declined to give details. She said the department had issued safety guidelines to employers and staff in handling chemicals. The guidelines stress the need to ventilate a work area and to instal exhaust fans where necessary.