Legislators who have investigated the Sars outbreak say their hundreds of hours of work have paid off because the report will provide 'the most accurate and reliable' reconstruction of events. The 11-member Legco select committee was set up in October to inquire into the handling of the Sars outbreak. Its report will be published on July 5. As of June 11, the committee had obtained evidence from 73 witnesses in 30 hearings. The Legislative Council decided to conduct its own inquiry after the government-commissioned report, conducted by a panel of overseas experts, was criticised for failing to hold anyone responsible. Lo Wing-lok, a committee member and the legislator who represents the medical sector, said he and his fellow members had achieved a lot. 'We held so many hearings in such a short period of time. It is a kind of workload I have never come across before,' he said. 'The open hearings provided us with evidence of very good quality. Our report will be the most accurate and reliable reconstruction of the outbreak.' Fellow member Michael Mak Kwok-fung said he had been touched when frontline medical staff broke down in tears when they recalled the catastrophe during the open hearings. 'I felt very much their devotion and spirit. And I have changed my views on some people,' he said. Mr Mak, a legislator representing the health professions, admitted that some people had given contradictory evidence, but he said: 'I find it difficult to make a judgment.' He hoped the public would not regard the report as a political tool. 'The committee does not intend to see heads roll - we want Hong Kong to learn,' he said.