Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa last night said he was very concerned about the public reaction to the Legco report on Harbour Fest. Amid simmering outrage that the government was hesitant to impose punishment, Mr Tung said in a statement that disciplinary proceedings against the officials implicated in the fiasco had begun last month. A day after the Legco Public Accounts Committee delivered a damning report, Mr Tung said he appreciated the public concern about the responsibility borne by InvestHK chief Mike Rowse, who has been criticised for his failure to adequately supervise the event. The Legco report also called on the government to consider disciplinary action against Mr Rowse because of his failure. Despite the injection of $100 million of the taxpayer's money, the event, organised by the American Chamber of Commerce, was generally seen as a public relations disaster rather than an image-building success for Hong Kong following the Sars outbreak last year. Mr Tung last night said that he had instructed the Civil Service Bureau and the Independent Commission Against Corruption to deal with the case expeditiously. In his statement on Wednesday, Secretary for the Civil Service Joseph Wong Wing-ping said the bureau was awaiting the conclusion of the investigation by the ICAC before making a final recommendation on appropriate action. Mr Tung, however, said the disciplinary proceedings were initiated as early as May. 'The proceedings are being conducted in parallel with the ICAC's investigation,' he said. These include gathering evidence, drafting a statement of the alleged misconduct, giving the officer concerned a chance to make representations, seeking legal advice as well as arranging a hearing.