The bodies of two young lovers believed to have burned charcoal to kill themselves in a suicide pact were found at their home yesterday afternoon. Police said the bodies of a 20-year-old female and a 16-year-old male had been found lying in the bedroom of the flat where they lived in Shau Kei Wan. They were identified only as Chan and Poon, respectively. They were thought to have been dead for about two days. Charcoal ashes were found in a metal bin in the room. Police were called in after neighbours detected an odour coming from the flat on the 13th floor of the Tai On Building, a residential building on Shau Kei Wan Road, and alerted the landlord. Neighbours said the couple were lovers and had moved into one of three rental suites in the partitioned flat about four months ago. Both appeared to have been unemployed. They were declared dead at the scene. Preliminary investigations showed they had died of inhaling excessive carbon monoxide. No suicide note was found. A postmortem examination will be conducted today. According to research conducted recently by the Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, burning charcoal in a sealed room is now the second most common form of suicide in Hong Kong, accounting for almost one in four suicides last year. Jumping from buildings is the most common.