Ten people in one ward at Castle Peak Hospital have come down with influenza symptoms. Nine female patients, aged from 25 to 56, and a ward staff member developed colds and coughs between Monday and Thursday. Seven of them also had fever. A hospital spokesman said the patients were in a stable condition but the staff member was still under medication. Four of the patients had been transferred to an isolation ward at Tuen Mun Hospital while five remained in isolation at Castle Peak. Admission to and discharge from the ward had been suspended and staff had adopted stronger infection-control procedures. Results from tests carried out on five patients for influenza A were negative. The hospital had reported the cases to the Hospital Authority and the Centre for Health Protection and would monitor the situation carefully, the spokesman said. News of the infections comes a day after the Prince of Wales hospital revealed six children and three staff members of a paediatric surgery ward had mild symptoms of fever, diarrhoea and vomiting. The patients ranged in age from three months to 12 years. A hospital spokeswoman said yesterday six of the patients had recovered, one had been discharged and two continued to receive treatment but were stable. There were no new cases yesterday. The hospital was investigating the illness, which it said was probably related to gastroenteritis. The spokeswoman said infection-control measures had been instituted and the ward had been thoroughly cleaned. Precautionary measures had been taken for the remaining 16 patients and 21 staff in the ward, she added. Patients were not being admitted to or discharged from the ward.