Guangdong travel authorities yesterday were urged to investigate whether six Hong Kong tourists and two guides were drugged at a four-star Guangzhou hotel before a theft on Thursday morning. Kwan Kin Tours, which organised the two-day, 11-member tour to Guangzhou, is also planning to claim compensation from the Biquan Hotel in Conghua county for its allegedly inadequate security measures. The travel agency yesterday reimbursed tour group members $11,000 and said it would cover all other losses. The eight victims, who had $6,400 and four mobile phones stolen from three rooms, suspected they were drugged on Wednesday night, as none of them was awoken by the thieves. One tourist said it was surprising that the thieves had enough time to take the cash but leave behind identity cards, wallets and handbags. Travel Industry Council of Hong Kong executive director Joseph Tung Yao-chung said it had asked Guangdong tourism authorities to follow up how the property was stolen and whether the tourists had been drugged. 'This is a rare and serious case. Kwan Kin Tours is very concerned because it affects its image,' he said. Kwan Kin Tours deputy manager Ha Hing-man said Guangdong tourism authorities would be asked to follow up on the security situation at the hotel. The agency would not use the hotel again, he said. A hotel spokesman disagreed that it should shoulder any responsibility for the incident.