Advertisement

Speeding law setback won't deter us: police

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
0

Conflict in regulations sees motorist's conviction dismissed by High Court

Police have said they will continue to uphold the rules of the road on the Lantau Link despite a High Court ruling against the government for failing to gazette a change to the speed limit.

The case highlighted a conflict between two regulations, and a legal expert said the government must clear up the inconsistency.

The High Court on Thursday ruled in favour of Chan Chiu-kwok, who had been convicted on the road last July.

He was caught driving 97 km/h in an area where the speed limit had been changed from 50km/h to 80km/h, and marked with signs. He was fined $1,800.

Mr Chan appealed, on the grounds that the Commissioner of Police had not gazetted the speed change - as required under the Road Traffic Ordinance.

Advertisement