SIX south Vietnamese were yesterday found guilty of rioting after a small dispute over illegally brewed liquor escalated into ''wholesale massacre''. In the record longest trial in the District Court, 14 men aged between 18 and 43 were acquitted by Judge Wilson after a 186-page judgment was delivered. The convicted men will be sentenced on Tuesday. The riot at Sek Kong Detention Centre on February 3 last year left 24 north Vietnamese dead and 126 injured. The judge rejected defence allegations that the rioting was provoked by northerners and that the escalation was due to police lack of foresight in not having enough resources and manpower to quell the riot. The defendants were on trial for 215 days from August 24, last year. Counsel refused to reveal what the costs of the trial had been. Detailing the background, the judge found there was ''appalling savagery'' when a large group of inmates armed with home-made weapons set out to burn a hut. Thirty police officers were on duty when the riot broke out but they were attacked with missiles and forced to retreat. The camp was divided into five sections and housed north and south Vietnamese separately except in Section C which housed 800 inmates from the two groups who had volunteered to return home. They lived in different huts. The first hint of trouble was a fight between a northerner and a southerner in the late evening over the sale of alcohol. The southerner was injured. The judge said that led to the wholly disproportionate attack on the northerners hours later. The judge did not accept the riot was caused by the northerners. He also rejected defence criticism that the authorities had lacked foresight by keeping the two groups together in Section C. The rioting broke out at 11 pm when a crowd of southerners broke down the gate leading to Section C. Men wearing white headbands or armbands and brandishing weapons stormed the compound. Combustible material was lit and thrown into the hut occupied by the northerners. It turned into an inferno. The judge said he had no difficulty in rejecting the defence claim that it was simply a big fight. ''The southerners mounted a massacre of the northerners in Section C,'' he said. Bui Ngoc Tinh, 18, said in his defence that when the attack took place he fled to his uncle in another section and did not look back to see what was going on. He was identified by five witnesses as an aggressive participant. Bui Van Anh, 22, said he was drinking tea in the next section with friends while the riot took place. He was identified by two witnesses. Le Duy Can, 23, said he did not notice the uproar as he was doing the traditional New Year rounds visiting friends. He was identified by three people. Le Van En, 28, a medical trainee, said he took his wife and children to another section when the rioting broke out and did not glance back or ask anyone what had happened. He was identified by two people. Nguyen Hien, 31, said he ran off with his wife and children to the food section to keep away from the trouble. He was identified by three people. Nguyen Kha, 30, a teacher, said he was a devout vegetarian who would not hurt an insect and who was praying at the time of the incident. Three prosecution witnesses identified him as being in the thick of the riot.