Legco security panel chairman demands an explanation Hong Kong authorities have decided not to take action against two Guangdong Public Security Bureau officers caught snooping on Mount Davis Road last June in possession of handcuffs. The Hong Kong Security Bureau said the seven-month investigation found insufficient evidence for a prosecution. Guangdong provincial security officials had told their Hong Kong counterparts that the two mainland officers caught were not on a covert surveillance mission, but on a sightseeing trip with five staff from a car-rental company. The seven were arrested for suspected loitering and possession of an offensive weapon outside Cape Mansions in Mount Davis Road, Pokfulam, after a complaint from a member of the public on June 16. The area is home to many officials and staff of mainland-funded companies. Democrat James To Kun-sun, chairman of Legco's security panel, said the decision not to take action could open Hong Kong to a flood of mainland law enforcement officers. Mr To criticised both Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa and Police Commissioner Dick Lee Ming-kwai for failing to defend Hong Kong's autonomy. He said it also showed that the police drag out lengthy investigations in the hope they will eventually be forgotten. 'It sends completely the wrong message. Today they come to Hong Kong with a pair of handcuffs, but tomorrow they might arrive with a pistol. 'They come with a pair of handcuffs to arrest and kidnap somebody here. It may get to the point where ordinary Hong Kong people are not safe in their own homes.' A 1997 agreement between Hong Kong and Beijing stipulates that Interpol protocol be followed and enforcement actions not be carried out in each other's jurisdictions. The Hong Kong Security Bureau said yesterday that the decision was made by the Department of Justice after careful consideration of evidence and relevant information. A spokeswoman refused to say when the decision was made, but added that those arrested had been informed of the decision. The incident had reportedly caused a stir in the upper echelons of the government, with both Mr Tung and Secretary for Security Ambrose Lee Siu-kwong expressing concern about the incident. Mr Tung had said it was 'totally unacceptable' for mainland security officers to operate in Hong Kong. All seven men were released on bail a short time after their arrests and allowed to return to the mainland. Mr To said he had instructed the secretary of Legco's security panel to write to the police commissioner to demand an explanation.