The Housing Authority is considering making a new offer to pay the legal bills of the elderly woman challenging the Link Reit it wants to use to privatise assets. Housing chief Michael Suen Ming-yeung said paying for Lo Siu-lan's challenge was one way of resolving the issue swiftly, given the 67-year-old public estate tenant's latest application for legal aid has been rejected. The secretary for housing, planning and lands said the government still had no concrete timetable for relaunching the Link real estate investment trust. He said it was considering funding Ms Lo's legal action because the case involved huge public interest. But he did not say when the authority would make a decision. 'If she really cannot amass the money and therefore cannot lodge the appeal, shall we, with regard to public interest, resolve this legal problem as soon as possible? We hope an ultimate judgment can be made soon,' Mr Suen said. Ms Lo rejected a previous offer by the authority to fund her challenge. Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa earlier denounced the 'mastermind' behind the legal challenge - who he never identified - saying the interests of Hong Kong people had been ignored. Ms Lo has 28 days from December 17 to file an appeal with the Court of Final Appeal against two lower courts' rulings that the listing does not breach the Housing Authority's powers. But the 28-day deadline has been put on hold because she has until the end of February to appeal against her denial of legal aid. Mr Suen brushed aside questions about whether it was right to use public money to finance the lawsuit. 'If you look at it from a different angle ... if [she is to] apply for legal aid, it also involves public money, doesn't it?'