Red fire ants inflict a fiery sting, which causes burning or itching followed by the formation of a white pustule. Scratching may lead to a secondary infection. Reactions may include nausea, headaches, profuse sweating, vomiting, disorientation, asthma and allergic shock. Some people allergic to wasp and bee stings may also be allergic to fire-ant stings. Fewer than 5 per cent of people stung experience a serious allergic reaction, which can be fatal. WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I GET STUNG? Apply ice or a cold compress on the area to reduce swelling and relieve pain and itching. Wash the affected area with soap and water. Keep the blisters clean and avoid scratching. Apply an ointment containing steroids. If the area gets infected, or if you suspect an allergic reaction, seek medical attention immediately.