In secure hands . . . firemen carry an elderly woman to safety in North Point yesterday. Police and firemen rescued 19 elderly people from two homes after a blaze broke out in a fifth-floor unit of the 22-storey Continental Mansion in King's Road. Eleven people, including a police officer, were injured. North Point police commander Superintendent Yan Fook-mau said the 22-year-old officer hurt his back while carrying some of the residents. The officer and two men and eight women, mostly overcome by smoke, were treated at Tang Shiu Kin Hospital and discharged. Mr Yan said the fire, which broke out on the floor above one of the old people's homes, was probably caused by an electrical short circuit. The alarm was raised just after 10 am and firemen put out the blaze by 11.30 am without it spreading to the homes, which housed 48 people.