Apartment fire scare for singer

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 22 February, 2005, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 22 February, 2005, 12:00am

Record label Emperor Entertainment Group might want to make their artists watch the announcements of public interest on television, especially the ones that remind people not to leave open flames unattended.


On Sunday night, singing duo Boy'z member Steven Cheung Chi-hang became the second EEG artist to have his house catch fire. Singer Joey Yung Cho-yee's Happy Valley flat was destroyed in a blaze in February 2000.


Cheung left incense candles burning in his bathroom and living room on Sunday night before he left to attend the 63rd anniversary ball of the Emperor Group, the company that owns EEG, his label.


'I have a cat and I light candles to get rid of the smell of cat droppings,' he told CitySeen yesterday. 'My mother was at my house tidying up when I had to go, and I left everything to her but I forgot to tell her about the candles.'


The flame from a candle in the bathroom lit some household items and a small fire broke out, causing smoke to pour out of the flat.


'I was told by my colleagues that my house had caught fire and I thought it was a practical joke at first,' said the singer. 'I'm usually very careful.'