Partially paralysed by treatment with steroids, Joey Lee suspects she might have been wrongly diagnosed Two years after Sars treatment partially paralysed Joey Lee Wai-hung, the 33-year-old heroine is still looking for answers about her health and cannot find any sense of closure. Ms Lee, a nurse at Princess Margaret Hospital, harbours a nagging feeling that she was misdiagnosed, and might have been unnecessarily treated for the disease. She was one of about 300 Hospital Authority staff who apparently contracted Sars while on duty. A nurse in the hospital's accident and emergency ward, she volunteered to work in its critical-care unit on March 31, 2003. By April 7, she had become feverish, and was admitted as a suspected Sars case. She stayed in hospital for 45 days. Ms Lee is still on sick leave and needs to use a walking stick because her lower back has been weakened by the steroid treatment for Sars. She is also being treated for depression by a private psychiatrist. Ms Lee said her doubts about her true Sars status were sparked by doctors treating her at the hospital, when they told her part of her laboratory test results were missing. A Hospital Authority medical report dated September 8, 2004, seen by the South China Morning Post, described Ms Lee's illness as 'a definitive case of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome'. But Ms Lee said she was not convinced, and had been desperately looking for the missing records. Her plight was taken up by legislators when her son appealed to a radio talk show host in August last year. She had raised the issue with hospital bosses, the Hospital Authority and, on February 6, with the Health, Welfare and Food Bureau. She was told to take her complaint back to the Hospital Authority. 'Everybody tells me to just let go. I cannot let go,' said Ms Lee, a registered nurse who started out as a student nurse at Princess Margaret Hospital in 1989. 'I still have to adjust and bear [the pain]. Somebody told me it is better not to find the truth - if I find out the truth that I am not a confirmed Sars case, then I need to pay back all the [Sars compensation] money that I receive.' She said she would not stop looking for answers until she knew what happened to her missing test results. According to the Hospital Authority, 12 of its employees were still on sick leave as of December 31 last year as a result of Sars. The Hospital Authority said one of the 12 was a doctor, five were nurses and six support staff. It refused to comment on Ms Lee's concerns, saying it would be inappropriate as her personal data was private. The Health, Welfare and Food Bureau said assistance had been extended to Ms Lee. 'Financial assistance had been given to Ms Lee under the Trust Fund for Sars to cover her medical expenditure,' a bureau spokesman said. 'Project Blossom, a scheme supported by community donations, has also granted financial aid to Ms Lee to cover the educational expenses of her two children. The Social Welfare Department is rendering assistance to Ms Lee in the form of financial and counselling support.' The Hospital Authority said those who contracted Sars at work were each paid a 'non-accountable recuperation grant' of $50,000, a donation from the Law's Foundation - a charitable body - of $1,000 and other donations of $3,014. 'They are also eligible for full-pay sick leave and additional payment for permanent incapacity - equal to 90 months' basic salary for total incapacity - in addition to employees' compensation,' a spokesman said.