Ten people at a home for the elderly in Ma Liu Shui, the oldest of them 100 years old, have been infected with gastroenteritis. Five residents were admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital yesterday in stable condition. The other five - three residents and two staff members of the Sea View Elderly Home in Tai Po Road - had developed symptoms earlier and had seen private doctors. The first of the cases was reported on March 13. The 10 affected people - nine women and a man, aged from 43 to 100 - developed symptoms including fever, vomiting and diarrhoea. It is believed the symptoms were caused by a Norwalk-like virus. The Norwalk virus, an intestinal illness, was first identified in 1972 after an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness in Norwalk, Ohio. Such viruses often cause food poisoning or outbreaks of gastroenteritis, especially in homes for the elderly and schools, and can affect people of any age. Staff from the Department of Health have inspected hygiene standards and living conditions at the Sea View Elderly Home. A government spokeswoman said conditions at the home were reported to be satisfactory.