More than 100 former residents of the Nationalist stronghold of Rennie's Mill stormed the lobby of the Legislative Council building yesterday. The fierce anti-communists, who were protesting for more compensation for the demolition of their homes a decade ago, refused police orders to leave. It took the intervention of two legislators and a meeting with housing chief Michael Suen Ming-yeung, arranged on his personal mobile phone, to get them to disperse. Rennie's Mill was built on Junk Bay, south of Tseung Kwan O, by refugees from the mainland in the 1950s. A 1996 court ruling awarded the residents upwards of $500 million in compensation from the government for their relocation. The protesters - whose homes made way for the Tiu Keng Leng development but who claim their village's removal was a political conspiracy - stormed through the legislators' entrance, past security guards and into the lobby just before lunchtime. They demanded to meet Secretary for Housing, Planning and Lands Mr Suen, who had been addressing legislators earlier but had by then left the building. Police were called after two security guards scuffled with the 100-strong group and suffered hand injuries. The pair were sent to see a doctor. Two of the protesters, who had begun a hunger strike outside the Legco building on Tuesday, were sent to hospital for check-ups. The group sought help from lawmakers Martin Lee Chu-ming of the Democratic Party, and independent 'Long Hair' Leung Kwok-hung, who agreed to meet them. The protest broke up after half an hour when the two lawmakers managed to arrange a meeting between Mr Suen and several representatives from the group. 'I want to defuse the issue,' Mr Lee was heard telling Mr Suen in a call to his mobile phone. 'I will ask them to approach you to settle it.' Mr Leung accompanied the protesters to the meeting with Mr Suen. Mr Suen's office said officials would meet the group again. A spokesman for the Legislative Council Secretariat said the building's security was adequate.