Conflict between parents and mangers of the Christian Alliance PC Lau Memorial International School continued this week when managers stopped an open meeting in the school and ordered a discussion forum on its website be closed. More than 50 people were reported to have congregated outside the school on Thursday night. They held their meeting in a nearby church. The Grapevine discussion forum was reopened on another website hours after it was closed. Parents reacted angrily to the committee's action. Esther Leung Wong Kee-loon circulated a letter saying: 'I am disappointed and frustrated at what the school management committee has done. The feeling is like the crack down [in] Tiananmen Square.' Parents wanted dialogue with managers but had failed. 'They should host a meeting themselves because the school is accountable and is in crisis now,' she said. 'I want to hear both sides. We are mature people.' Jeff Shurr, who organised the meeting, was pleased that members of the board of deacons of the Kowloon Tong Church of the Chinese Christian and Missionary Alliance, which sponsors the school, attended as observers. 'The general feeling was that finally we had our side listened to,' he said. 'That is the beginning of what we hope will be a resolution.' At the meeting, parents gave glowing testimonials of the school under the leadership of Arthur Enns, whose contract will not be renewed at the end of the school year. Ip Tin-yau, currently vice-principal of Yew Chung International School, has been appointed to take over. Parents are calling for Mr Enns to remain, for the committee to resign and for parents and teachers to set up an association and be represented in management. 'If the committee can't be removed we will pursue a legal case,' Mr Shurr said. Parents had been deceived by not being informed about the planned change of principal before they paid deposits for next year's school fees, he said. The committee in a press statement denied it had banned the meeting on Thursday. 'The SMC did not specifically direct that the meeting on May 19 could not take place. The headmaster made the decision to cancel the meeting without further reference to the SMC,' it said. But a memo to Mr Enns from supervisor Joseph Tse, written on behalf of the committee, said: 'You are hereby advised that the SMC does not agree to any part of the CAIS school being used for ad-hoc parent meetings and that any such meeting that you allow to be held on May 19 is considered to be wholly at your and the attendees risk. 'The above situation is deeply regrettable and avoidable if you had exercised the expected authority and care vested in you in the way you allow or have allowed the school premises to be used. You are instructed by the SMC that no further meetings by parent groups are to be permitted in the school premises in future unless expressly agreed to by the SMC in writing.' The memo also instructed Mr Enns to close the Grapevine. The statement from the committee said it would hold an open meeting with stakeholders 'in due course', in a way that 'ensures that every stakeholder has been given clear information of the specific or general meeting purposes and how information from the meeting will be disseminated to those who cannot or do not wish to be present'. The committee denied its members were invited to the previous meeting. 'No member received any notice of this meeting,' it said. The Grapevine, it added, was put in place without the consent of the committee and had been the subject of parental complaint. It wished to see it reinstated 'with the greatest of transparency and respect from all who use it'.