The Yau Tong community would like to see the environs of Yau Tong Bay preserved as a healthy, open space for recreational use, as pollution continues to rise to unacceptable levels. In a survey involving 206 Yau Tong residents, conducted in March by the Chinese University of Hong Kong's Centre for Environmental Policy and Resource Management, 74 per cent of the respondents were in favour of a change of land use at Yau Tong Bay. About 57 per cent said it would be a good idea to relocate industries at Yau Tong Bay to other sites. They believed that such a change would result in a better living environment for them. About half of the respondents considered the level of air pollution in Yau Tong to be from 'moderate to very serious', while more than a third said the noise, water and waste pollution was 'moderate to very serious'. Asked about desirable future development at Yau Tong Bay, about 60 per cent showed a preference for open space for recreation. The remaining 40 per cent were in favour of residential development. 'Whether harbour reclamation is the best approach to redeveloping the Yau Tong Bay area is subject to public debate,' said Lai Pong-wai, associate director of the university's study centre. 'Is it in the best interests of the Yau Tong district and society to let the area sit idle while the redevelopment discussions drag on?' he said. 'I think the answer is pretty obvious here.'