Prosecutions for worker exploitation jump The number of summonses issued to contractors for allegedly exploiting workers increased from three last year to 31 in the first five months of this year. Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury Frederick Ma Si-hang told legislators yesterday the Labour Department had conducted 300 checks on contractors and interviewed 1,100 workers. He said one contractor alone received 15 summonses and was barred from bidding on government services. Housing chief says HOS flats on sale next year The government will not resume the sale of Home Ownership Scheme (HOS) flats until next year, housing minister Michael Suen Ming-yeung told the Legislative Council. He said he feared the property market might be affected if the HOS flats were pushed onto the market earlier than planned. An estimated $9 million was needed to restore the flats before they were sold, he said. About $170 million would be spent on maintaining empty units. Man allegedly slaps 9-month-old daughter A 19-year-old man was arrested for allegedly slapping his nine-month-old daughter in Shek Lei Estate, Tsuen Wan. The arrest was made after the infant's grandmother took her to Tsuen Wan police station at 3am and reported the alleged child abuse. Police said the girl's face was bruised. The girl was taken to Princess Margaret Hospital for an examination. Inquiry into closure The Commercial Crime Bureau is to investigate the second closure of a Chinese restaurant in Sheung Wan, the Ying Bun, which closed on Monday without notice to its staff. About 50 employees have not been paid since May, and are owed wages totalling more than $500,000. The department had received 41 requests for help.