When Sunday Communications launched its 3G network earlier this month, notable for their absence were handsets to go along with the advanced data services. Sunday unveiled a data card for use with notebook computers and said that handsets from equipment suppliers such as Huawei would soon follow. Now it looks as though Sunday customers might have to wait a little longer. The pending US$249 million takeover by fixed-line carrier PCCW is apparently sufficient reason to delay the handset launch. A company source told Earful it was only 'natural' that Sunday held back launching 3G phones until the acquisition by PCCW was complete. This means two months could pass before we see 3G handsets from Sunday. PCCW will finish the first part of the takeover next Wednesday by completing the purchase of nearly 60 per cent of Sunday, giving it a controlling stake. Voting by Sunday's minority shareholders is due to take place over the next two months. Meanwhile, there has been plenty of talk that a management shake-up at Sunday is in the offing. Group managing director Bruce Hicks has led the company since taking over from predecessor Craig Ehrlich in 2001. PCCW managing director Jack So Chak-kwong sought to quash speculation of a shake-up last week, saying the experience of Sunday's existing management team would continue to be valued. Translation: Mr Hicks is staying on. But Earful could not help thinking otherwise with the appointment of Ian Stone to the PCCW-Sunday 'integration committee'. Mr Stone heads up PCCW's British broadband business and is an experienced telecoms hand, having previously served a stint at rival SmarTone Telecommunications. As PCCW moves toward its goal of 'fixed-mobile' convergence, it certainly will not be short of talent.