Updated at 5.44pm:\nThe Buildings Department on Wednesday said it had approved 20 new building plans in May - 11 of which would be on Hong Kong Island. The others would include three in Kowloon and six in the New Territories. The department said eight of the plans were for flats and flat-commercial developments. Five were for commercial developments, one for a factory-industrial development and six were for community services developments. Consent was also given for work to start on 19 building projects. When completed, these projects will provide 8,761 square metres (96,000 square feet) of gross floor area for domestic use, involving 73 units, and 69,021 sq m of gross floor area for non-domestic use. The department said it had received notification of commencement of work for 16 building projects. The department also issued 28 occupation permits - two on Hong Kong Island, 10 in Kowloon and 16 in the New Territories. Of the buildings certified for occupation, the gross floor areas for domestic use was 203,404 sq m, involving 3,131 units, and 68,983 sq m for non-domestic use. \nThe declared cost of new buildings completed in May was about $2.96 billion, the department said. In addition, eight demolition consents involving eight buildings were issued. The department received 2,057 complaints against unauthorised building works in May and issued 1,989 removal orders on unauthorised works. Hong Kong's property market has been enjoying a recovery since last year, after a long downturn following the Asian economic crisis of 1997-98, when the territory's property values fell significantly.