Six months after former Hong Kong resident David Wong Kin-jin had a conviction for murder overturned in the United States, supporters believe he may be deported soon. The Fujian native, who went to the US as an illegal immigrant, has finally received travel documents from the Chinese consulate in New York and could be sent to Hong Kong at any time in the next two weeks. Since his court victory last December, the 43-year-old has languished behind bars in a detention centre in Buffalo, New York, while supporters mounted a campaign for him to be released and allowed to stay in the US. But he has now accepted that returning to Hong Kong is his best option, and is said to be looking forward to being reunited with his sister and elderly mother. 'Upon his return to Hong Kong, David wants to lead a quiet life, like a normal person again,' Wayne Lum, spokesman for the David Wong Support Committee, said in New York. Mr Wong served 18 years of a 33-year murder sentence for the fatal stabbing of a fellow inmate in the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, New York, in 1987. After a long campaign supported by members of the Asian-American community, the conviction was overturned by an appeal court when it emerged that a racist guard had coached another prisoner to accuse Mr Wong of the crime. As is usually the case, Mr Wong will not know about the timing of his deportation until just a few hours beforehand, and supporters say he may not even be allowed to make a last phone call to say goodbye. Mr Wong left Hong Kong for the US in the early 1980s to work at a restaurant in New York's Chinatown. He was jailed in 1984 for trying to rob a restaurant owner. He was framed for murder while in prison. Behind bars, supporters say Mr Wong underwent a 'sea change', learning English, earning a high school degree and offering counselling to fellow inmates. An online petition was launched, urging Congress and the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement to allow him to be released pending deportation, but the request was rejected on April 26. 'David should have been freed once his conviction was cleared last year. [His detention] is unacceptable and a waste of taxpayers' money,' Mr Lum said. 'Ideally, we all want David to stay in the US, where he has friends and is familiar with the place. We even have people offering him housing and a job as a paralegal at a law firm. With his fluency in English, he can start a new life again.' But Mr Wong's supporters quickly realised it was an uphill battle. 'In the post-9/11 climate, it's getting more difficult to lobby any politician for his release and the right to stay in the US since he's an undocumented illegal immigrant and has a prior conviction record,' Mr Lum said. 'Going back to Hong Kong may be the best option he has right now. He just doesn't want the issue to be dragged on and on and face long-term detention, ' he said. Mr Wong has filed a wrongful conviction lawsuit, but it is doubtful whether he will be able to return to the US to attend the hearings. 'It really depends on the co-operation of authorities in Hong Kong and the US,' Mr Lum said.