Having ascended to the World Heritage pedestal, Macau's historic landmarks are being wheeled out as top tourist attractions. The 'Historic Centre of Macau' has a high concentration of the relics not too difficult to reach on foot, especially in the balmy days of autumn. Ruins of St Paul's This was the site of the first Jesuit centre in Macau, built in 1565. It was destroyed by several fires, the most severe one in 1835, which left only the present granite facade. The four-tiered facade is 28 metres wide and 38.5 metres high. The carvings include Chinese characters and details as well as bronze statues of saints and beatified men. Holy House of Mercy Founded in 1569 by the first bishop of Macau as a charity house, it became a home for orphans and prostitutes in the 1700s. The building is neoclassical in style, built with brick and granite with an arched passage opening into Leal Senado Square. Leal Senado Building Built in 1784, the Leal Senado features classical Portuguese architecture with an art gallery, black wood-panelled library and an open courtyard lined with blue and white ceramic tiles. St Augustine's Church Dating back to 1814, the church holds a statue of Christ carrying the cross, which is paraded through the streets annually in the festival of Our Lord of the Passion in February. Moorish Barracks The former barracks was built in 1874 to house a police reinforcement from India. The Moorish pointed arches around its spacious verandah mark the building, which now houses the Macau Maritime Administration. A-Ma Temple The 500-year old place of worship dedicated to Tin Hau, the sea goddess, bears traditional Chinese temple features such as a half-moon portico, decorative eaves, stone lions and animal sculptures. Rock faces on the hillside are marked with paintings and poems by pilgrims of bygone years. Old City Wall A small section of an old city wall that early Portuguese settlers built for defence. The first wall was built as early as 1569 using clay, rice, straw, sand and oyster shells. It was later dismantled in the Ming Dynasty until the Chinese officials approved a permanent wall in the 1600s. Na Tcha Temple Built in 1888, this singlechamber shrine is only five metres long and honours the monkey warrior Na Tcha, personified in Chinese legends. The incense burner inside was made in 1898 while the roof features upturned eaves and traditional animal sculptures. Monte Fortress The former principle military facility was originally built by the Jesuits in 1626 for the College of the Mother of God. It incorporated a three-storey tower and houses for barracks, wells and arsenal that could stock supplies to allow soldiers to survive for two years. It was converted into a weather observatory from 1965 to 1996 and is now the home of the attached Macao Museum. Guia Fortress The fortress was restricted to military use from the early 1600s until 1976, when it was opened to visitors. Inside is the Guia Chapel, covered with frescoes believed to be the work of local artists. The lighthouse was built in 1865 and is the oldest one on the coast of China. Dom Pedro V Theatre Built in 1860 and renovated several times, this neoclassical theatre has a lobby, ballroom, circular auditorium and a stage with a crescent-shaped balcony. It is a focal point for celebrations, ceremonies, concerts and films. St Joseph's Seminary and Church The church was built by the Jesuits in 1758. The main facade has two towers with deep red glazed tiles in symmetrical composition. The church is laid out in the shape of a Latin cross. Mandarin's House Dating back to 1881, this is the former residence of Chinese ideologist and economist Zheng Guanying and his father. It is typical of a traditional Chinese-style compound comprising various buildings and a courtyard, but includes foreign elements evident in the ceilings, the archway over the door and the window openings.