Liaison official appeals for more precision on plans Protesters preparing for December's World Trade Organisation ministerial conference have been told to be more precise with their plans ahead of a government meeting today. Petty Lai Chun-yee, deputy head of the government's co-ordination office on the conference, made the plea after answering queries by Central and Western District councillors on traffic and security arrangements. Relations between the government and protesters have worsened after talks last month ended in deadlock, with the Hong Kong People's Alliance on WTO describing it as a waste of time and threatening to stop co-ordinating the protests. 'It has always been our wish that we could secure more information from them about the approximate number of participants and the nature of the activities so that in return we can provide them with more information about which venues can be used,' Ms Lai said. 'I understand that it would be difficult for Ms Tang [Elizabeth Tang Yin-ngor] and her group [the Alliance] to provide a concrete figure on the participants, but from the government's point of view we cannot assign them a site simply based on rough estimates. We need to know some details such as the size of the stage for their activities.' Despite the stalemate, Ms Lai remained confident that an agreement could be reached that would not only guarantee the protesters' voices would be heard, but also would minimise possible disruptions to the local community. 'Tomorrow is not a deadline for all the issues. Whatever happens tomorrow does not mean we cannot make changes later, because the conference will only be held in December,' she said. In the district council meeting, Ms Lai insisted that the government would be well equipped to deal with various emergencies. But she also said shop owners would not receive government compensation for any damage incurred. Meanwhile, WTO director-general Pascal Lamy will attend a roundtable forum with NGOs in Hong Kong on October 16.