Colliery had stayed open in spite of government order A coal miner has been killed and two seriously injured in an explosion at a colliery in Shaoguan , Guangdong, that should have been closed after a central government order. The accident happened on Tuesday at the Shuangqiao Colliery in Shaoguan, but the mine bosses reportedly paid the dead miner's family 178,000 yuan to cremate the body quickly - apparently to prevent the family from publicising the news. The tragedy was only reported by Southern Metropolis News yesterday. The body of Li Shungou was shipped to his home town of Binzhou in Hunan . The two injured miners, Teng Chunchu and Xu Qingmin, were being treated at Shaoguan No1 People's Hospital, the report said. Mr Xu was reported to be in critical condition and Mr Teng in stable condition. The report said local police had monitored more than a dozen mine owners, but it did not say whether anyone had been arrested. A spokeswoman for the Shaoguan Work Safety Supervision Bureau confirmed the accident. 'We received a report that Shuangqiao Colliery was operating in breach of regulations and that there had been an accident. Local police are now investigating the case,' she said. The Shaoguan city government has ordered mine owners to shut down their operations and remove their production equipment by next Thursday. The closure order came after a major explosion at the Daxing Colliery in Meizhou killed at least 123 miners in August. One mine owner in Shaoguan said most owners were dismantling their production equipment, but he feared some unscrupulous operators might have secretly reopened production at night. 'I am afraid that their actions will have an impact on whether we can restart our mines or get compensation from the government if we were to close for good,' he said. 'The authorities did not say they would blow up our mines after October 20, but now they may.' Mine owners have organised petitions to the local government pleading with the authorities not to shut down their mines without adequate compensation. However, the authorities have so far declined their requests. Guangdong officials have publicly said they are prepared to phase out the coal industry in the province, saying that its mines were mostly small operations that posed a greater safety risk than their economic benefits could justify.