Police refuse to return protester's corpse snatched during raid on funeral service A Fujian woman is pleading with local officials to return the body of her father who died during a forced eviction more than a year ago. Wu Meimei , 20, told the South China Morning Post her family was willing to drop compensation claims against the authorities in Honglai township, Nanan city , if they handed over the body of Wu Renchuan. Nanan is under the administration of Quanzhou city . Wu, a 44-year-old father of three, fell from the rooftop of the family's three-storey building when he was sprayed with water cannons early on May 18 last year. He was dead by the time Wu Meimei arrived at hospital 10 minutes later. A postmortem was carried out, but his family was never told the cause of death. Police seized his body the next day while the family conducted a street funeral near their home. No government department has ever responded to their queries over the whereabouts of the body. After the family petitioned for three months in Beijing last year, the town's Bureau of Justice offered a 'poverty subsidy' of 100,000 yuan - later increased to 200,000 yuan - on the condition that they moved out of their house and signed a statement saying Wu committed suicide. 'It doesn't matter how much the compensation is. We will not sign because it was they who caused his death,' said Wu Meimei, the youngest daughter. 'What we want is the body and for the government to give justice to my father. 'I feel so sorry for my father. If he has not been cremated yet, he would have been in a freezer for more than a year. When he was alive, he was always afraid of the cold.' Postmortem footage seen by the Post showed Wu's forehead had traces of blood and his right foot was smashed so badly that the flesh and bone could be seen. His clothes were also bloodstained. The flat, where the family are still living, still has burn marks left behind by the May 18 eviction attempt in which authorities soaked the staircase with petrol and set fire to it. Wu Meimei said the May 18 drama took place as they appealed against a 2003 court decision to evict them. She said the authorities tried to force her family out without the required papers or any explanation. Evictions using water cannons have been seen before in Honglai, with three homeowners kicked out using this method in the past, but Wu was the first to have died during a forced eviction in the township, Wu Meimei said. Local police refused to accept a complaint from the family and none of the mainland reporters who interviewed the family have had their stories published. Township party chief Cai Zonglai , who was said to have led about 200 people during the May 18 eviction, refused to comment or confirm the use of force. Amnesty International East Asia team researcher Mark Allison said the case was suspicious and Wu's death should be investigated. 'If this is true, and even if the eviction was legal, it sounds like the use of force by the police to evict them from the home was completely excessive and out of proportion,' he said. 'If the government is refusing to return the body, it compounds the family's sorrow and suggests a cover-up.'