Updated at 7.05pm: A 43-year-old man died after contracting a pig-borne disease that had earlier killed more than 30 people in Sichuan, the Heath Department confirmed on Monday afternoon. A spokesman for the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) said the man was infected with Streptococcus suis on October 12. He had developed fever, chills and loose stool. The man ? who had lived in Quarry Bay ? was rushed to the Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital on October 13, but died later on that day. Local radio reported the man was a chef at a community centre in Sau Kei Wan. The man had no recent travel history outside Hong Kong. His family members were being put under medical surveillance by the CHP, the spokesman said In July, an outbreak of the disease in humans was reported in the southwest province of Sichuan. Some 174 people had been affected by the disease, with 38 deaths reported. The man?s death comes at a time of growing international fears about a bird-flu ? or even a common flu pandemic.