20 from Harbin seeking payout over Songhua accident
More than a dozen businessmen and residents in Harbin intend to take their class-action lawsuit against the petrochemical company behind the Songhua River toxic spill to the nation's highest court next week.
Hu Fengbin, a Beijing-based lawyer, said the Jilin and Heilongjiang provincial high courts had received all the legal documents of the case against Jilin Petrochemical.
The chemical plant explosion poured 100 tonnes of cancer-causing benzene compound into the river last month, leading to a week-long water crisis for the 5 million residents of Harbin.
Although the courts should decide whether to hear the case by next Tuesday, it looked unlikely they would decide themselves, given the impact upon the local authorities, Mr Hu said.
'It appeared both provincial courts are adopting delay tactics while waiting for instructions from higher authorities, which may not come any time soon,' Mr Hu, from Saverbj law firm, said in Harbin yesterday.