Angry tenants of a San Po Kong estate vowed yesterday not to allow the government to tear down the former factory estate, with clearance due to begin today. 'We will not move out of here unless the government promises to pay more compensation,' said one of the 70 former tenants of the estate, who gave his name as Lee. More than 90 per cent of the tenants have already moved out. The 70 tenants who rented 161 factory units insisted the government should double its current compensation, which was between $72,000 and $1.49 million. Having a barbecue party inside the buildings last night, the tenants said they had strategies to prevent the clearance operation but refused to go into details. 'We held more than 10 meetings with the Housing Department last year but nothing came out. We will not vacate our units and we will fight to the end,' Mr Lee said. The Housing Department said the condition of the San Po Kong estate could not allow further clearance delay. Originally scheduled for clearance on May 31 last year, the operation has been extended three times, to August 3, November 30 and February 27, at tenants' request for more time to arrange relocation. 'There will not be any concession and negotiation any more,' a departmental spokesman said. A number of departments would assist in the eviction today, he said. Built between 1962 and 1965, the estate comprises four five-storey and two seven-storey blocks with 24-square-metre factory units. The Strategic Planning Committee of the HA approved on September 11, 2003 the clearance of the estate due to increasing obsolescence of the design in comparison with current needs and the burden of maintenance with age. Under the compensation package, an operator is entitled to up to $1.49 million in compensation, which is equivalent to the total rent for almost 11 years. Compensation alone for the clearance project has cost the government $109 million.