The Guangzhou Rail group yesterday denied local media reports that two people died when two trains collided in Guangdong earlier this week. Group spokesman Zhang Dazhi said nobody was killed but about 20 passengers and staff were injured in the crash. The two trains collided between Linzhai and Dongshui in Heping county, Heyuan, on the Beijing-Guangzhou line at about 9.30am. The locomotive of one train was damaged and the last four carriages of the other were derailed. Mr Zhang said the cause of the collision was not known, but it had been determined that despatchers from the group's control centre were not responsible. 'The trains' operating system is very complex. We can't say at present which part should answer for the accident,' he said. The injured were sent to three small hospitals in Heping county and the affected rail section remained closed until about 7.30pm on Tuesday. Dozens of train services were affected and stranded passengers were offered refunds or alternative transport.