HONG Kong people overwhelmingly believe the economy will suffer from a failure to reach agreement on political reform, a Sunday Morning Post opinion poll has revealed. The survey also found few people believe the airport can be completed by 1997, in the absence of an electoral accord, and many will be less likely to vote in the 1994-95 polls if Beijing announces it will not recognise the results. But there was also general support for Governor Chris Patten's move, in presenting a partial electoral bill to the Legislative Council, coupled with an overwhelming belief that China's hostile reaction had not shut the door on further talks. The Hong Kong Polling and Business Research (PBR) survey of 827 people found 40 per cent believed Hong Kong's economy would be strongly affected by failure to reach agreement at the negotiating table, while 48 per cent said there would be some effect. Only seven per cent believed there would be no impact, while five per cent expressed no opinion. Fifty-seven per cent said the Chek Lap Kok airport could not be built on time, without agreement in the political reform talks, while 29 per cent disagreed. Fourteen per cent expressed no opinion. There was also an early indication it may prove more difficult to conduct the 1994-95 polls without Beijing's blessing. Thirty per cent said they would be less likely to vote in the elections if China announces - as it already has - it will not recognise the results, while only five per cent would be more likely to do so as a consequence. But more than half said it would not affect the chances of them voting, and eight per cent expressed no opinion. Strong support was also shown for Mr Patten. Forty per cent said he was right to include the single-seat single-vote system for Legco - the most controversial of the measures he announced last Thursday - in his partial electoral bill. Twenty-one per centdisagreed, with 39 per cent declining to give an opinion. But there was an overwhelming belief the talks would resume. A surprising 61 per cent said they thought China's response to Mr Patten's announcement suggested Beijing would continue the negotiations, while only 25 per cent believed it indicated they would not, with 14 per cent unsure. PBR managing director Citi Hung Ching-tin said the unexpected finding showed the public no longer took British and Chinese statements at face value after a year of hostilities. Other results also indicated support for Mr Patten. Thirty-seven per cent said Beijing should make the most concessions in order to get back to the negotiating table, while 32 per cent believed it was Britain which should, with 31 per cent expressing no opinion. Twenty-six per cent said Mr Patten had put Hong Kong's interests first in making last week's announcement, while 35 per cent believed he was primarily concerned in Britain's interests. Eleven per cent thought the Governor had put his interests first, while 28 per cent expressed no opinion. Mr Hung said the result showed a higher-than-expected number believed Mr Patten had put Hong Kong's interests first.