An elderly man was killed when his hut became engulfed in flames yesterday in Fanling. Firemen believe a short circuit in a rice cooker may have caused the blaze, police said. Wong Shi-ching, 91, lived in a nearby home for the elderly, but often returned to the tin hut in Ma Sik Road, Ma Shi Po Tsuen. Neighbours reported the fire to officers at 9.47am, shortly after the victim was seen entering the hut, police said. One woman villager said she called police after seeing dense smoke pouring from the hut. Fanling fire station commander Chan Bing-keung said the flames spread quickly because the weather was dry. The hut was ablaze when firemen arrived. 'The victim was an old man and it is possible that he was unable to run out in time,' Mr Chan said. The Fire Services Department said the blaze was out by 10.05am. Police said initial investigations found no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death. The rice cooker has been taken away for examination. Wong had lived at the home for the elderly, at Cheung Wah Estate in Fanling, for about four years. One tenant said Wong had recently complained about suffering pains in his legs.