Coalition plans to launch campaign with hunger strike More than 20 labour unions will step up their calls for a minimum wage with a series of actions next month, including a 30-hour hunger strike outside Government House. Other events planned - including a demonstration, a public forum and a city-wide campaign - are all aimed at pressing Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen to address the issue in his next policy address in October. Twenty-four union groups from different sectors yesterday formed a coalition on the issue, which is still deadlocked between employers and representatives of the Labour Advisory Board. Coalition spokesman Poon Man-hon called for the chief executive to address the introduction of a minimum wage in his policy address without further delay. 'Mr Tsang promised in the election for chief executive last year that a proposal on a minimum wage [would] be worked out by June this year. This promise is already overdue,' Mr Poon said. He said board members were not legally bound to reach consensus on the issue before the Legislative Council has studied a draft. 'Any more discussion in the board is pretty much a waste of time. With six labour representatives versus six employer representatives, there will never be a solution,' he said. The protests will start with the hunger strike on a date yet to be set, followed by a public forum on September 17 and a city-wide education campaign staged over the last two weeks of next month. The campaign will end with a march from Southorn Playground in Wan Chai to Government House on October 2. 'We hope there will be at least 500 attending the march,' Mr Poon said. The coalition has demanded legislation on a minimum wage of no less than $30 per hour, or $6,112 per month. It rejected a government proposal to set up a minimum wage only for the cleaning and security sectors, saying exploitation occurred in many other industries.