Dogs suspected of having been poisoned should be quickly carried to a clinic, rather than being walked, a veterinarian said. Lloyd Kenda, who has treated numerous dogs poisoned on Bowen Road and Black's Link in the past 12 years, said poisoned dogs suffered convulsions and seizures, and often had difficulty standing or walking. But even if they are able, they should not be allowed to walk, which causes the poison to spread more quickly. 'Owners should keep their pets calm and quiet, and bring them to the clinic quickly,' he said. The poison commonly used in Bowen Road was organophosphate, an insecticide that attacks an animal's nervous system. Dr Kenda said the poison was highly toxic and usually killed small dogs quickly. 'Bigger dogs have a better chance of survival, but it depends on the amount of poison taken. And if the dogs have eaten the poison on an empty stomach, the poison will be more fatal.' Dr Kenda advised dog owners to keep their pets on a lead and avoid high-risk areas. If their pets liked to eat food found on the road, they should consider muzzling them.