The Kowloon Motor Bus chief says a government proposal to cut 100 buses is unlikely to result in mass redundancy because affected drivers will be redeployed. Managing director John Chan Cho-chak said KMB had undergone reconstruction of its bus routes before and no jobs had been lost. 'When we said there will be fewer buses for a certain route, it does not mean that our fleet gets smaller ... the buses will be redeployed to other routes and so will our drivers.' Mr Chan said KMB would not necessarily increase fares to compensate for the reduced number of buses, but added this would be considered when fares were reviewed. In response to a survey that found a quarter of bus drivers had fallen asleep at the wheel, Mr Chan said working hours were set in line with government requirements. The survey, conducted by the Chinese University among 1,016 bus drivers over two years, found that 60.9 per cent felt tired at work, while 24 per cent said they had fallen asleep while driving. Six respondents admitted they had accidents after dozing off. Mr Chan said all KMB drivers were given sufficient rest time. The Transport Department requires drivers to be given 30 minutes rest for every six hours worked, with shifts capped at 11 hours a day. KMB drivers work eight to 10 hours a day and are never required to work two shifts in a row. Their rosters are changed every month. New World bus driver Chung Chung-fai said he enjoyed a stable working schedule, but pointed out that driving buses was a demanding task as it required staying focused and alert for long periods. He said bus operators should consider providing drivers with more breaks between trips. Last Tuesday, a KMB bus mounted a pavement in Waterloo Road, Mong Kok, causing one death and 12 injuries. Mr Chan said KMB was co-operating with the police investigation into the accident, but declined to comment on whether the driver had suffered heart problems.