Building more nuclear power plants in the Pearl River Delta might be the solution to curbing the smog and pollution from across the border that is affecting Hong Kong, InvestHK director-general Mike Rowse believes. 'My private view is that we need a couple more nuclear power plants in Guangdong province so that the grid supply is completely reliable; it's 365 days a year without any doubt,' Mr Rowse said yesterday. 'That way, companies will gradually have the confidence to not even have a reserve generator at all, or it will never kick in, because the grid supply will be so reliable. This will address a big chunk of the problem in southern China.' Guangdong already has two nuclear reactor plants in Daya Bay, Dapeng , and Lingao. Another is being built in Yangjiang , western Guangdong. Mr Rowse said safety and environmental issues needed to be addressed, especially regarding the proper disposal of nuclear fuel. The Hong Kong government has said that an estimated 80 per cent of the city's air pollution comes from across the border, where many factories are located. The other 20 per cent is mainly blamed on vehicle emissions and the two domestic electricity suppliers, CLP Power and Hongkong Electric. Electricity consumption in Guangdong has steadily outstripped supply. Factories in the province are targeted in the fight against air pollution as they often use backup generators to try to avert regular power shortages. These generators mostly run on cheaper 'dirty' fuel. 'I think Guangdong authorities are alert to [the issue] too,' he said. Mr Rowse said many of these factories were owned by Hong Kong companies. Mr Rowse said Hong Kong's government was serious about clamping down on pollution. He does not believe the problem is deterring companies from setting up or expanding in the city.