Reforms, heritage promotion on the cards for Henan province Henan aims to transform itself from a traditional hinterland into a cultural hub as its economy expands with the help of a drive by Beijing to develop the central region. Henan leaders also said the province would tighten its grip on land supply and macroeconomic control measures to curb runaway investment. 'We'll set a higher standard for land supply and loans, rein in excessive investment, and thus reduce the supply and use of land and capital,' provincial party secretary Xu Guangchun said. The party secretary's remarks follow the State Council's decision in September to discipline two high-ranking Henan officials over irregularities in the acquisition and use of land in Zhengzhou , the provincial capital. The officials, former Henan vice-governor Li Xinmin and former Zhengzhou mayor Wang Wenchao , illegally approved a plan to excise a 1,000-hectare site in the city's new development zone for the construction of a university town. Mr Li and Mr Wang were given serious warnings by the Communist Party's Central Commission for Discipline Inspection for giving the go-ahead to the project in 2003. Mr Xu said the incident had had a positive impact on the provincial government. 'It has allowed officials from all levels of the party and government to develop our economy in compliance with the law,' he said. Mr Xu said tourism was one of the driving forces in the province and Henan would further tap into its wealth of cultural and historical resources as part of the current five-year plan. 'Henan has an abundance of cultural and historical resources, but they are not being fully utilised in the market,' Mr Xu said. To do so, the government would encourage the creation of innovative businesses and better promote cultural heritage, such as traditional Henan plays, he said. Commonly dubbed the hinterland of China, Henan also is known as the source of many of the country's earliest inventions and is home to tourist attractions such as the Shaolin Temple and Longmen Grottoes. Governor Li Chengyu said tourism was expected to generate more than 100 billion yuan for the province this year, as more than 130 million people had visited Henan so far in 2006. Mr Li said there were plans to work with the Hong Kong and Macau authorities to promote tourism between the three regions. His comments come as Zhengzhou prepares to take part from January 1 in the individual traveller scheme, which allows mainland residents to make solo trips to Hong Kong and Macau.