Screen master Wong Kar-wai's first English-language film, My Blueberry Nights, will be the first Hong Kong-produced film to open the Cannes Film Festival. The movie, which has been nominated for the top prize, the Palme d'Or, and will have its world premiere at Cannes on May 16, will also be the first Chinese-directed film to open the festival, Cannes' 60th. Wong's ninth full-length feature, My Blueberry Nights was filmed in the US but produced by Hong Kong companies Jet Tone Films and Block 2 Pictures, the two production houses with which he usually works. The film's cast includes internationally renowned singers and actors including Grammy award-winning jazz singer Norah Jones, Oscar-winning actress Rachel Weisz, Bafta-winning actor Jude Law, Golden Globe-winning actress Natalie Portman and Volpi Cup-winning actor David Strathairn. 'I am very glad the film has been chosen to be the opening film at Cannes,' Wong said. The film's creative crews were mostly from Hong Kong, and many had to overcome language barriers with crews from different countries during production. The crews also included Wong's long-time creative partner William Chang Suk-ping and Oscar-nominated cinematographer Darius Khondji. 'I look forward to returning to Cannes to celebrate its 60th birthday,' Wong said. Since the 1990s, Wong has established a close relationship with Cannes. He won Best Director and was nominated for the Palme d'Or with Happy Together in 1997, while in 2000, actor Tony Leung Chiu-wai won the Best Actor award for the Wong-directed film In the Mood for Love, which was also nominated for the Palme d'Or. Last year, Wong was the first Chinese to be president of the Cannes jury.