Not everyone is thrilled by the prospect of skateboarding becoming a part of the 2012 London Olympics. Many skateboarders dismiss the notion altogether, while others are more against the idea that vertical style, as opposed to the more common street style, is the discipline pending Olympic approval. Vertical skateboarding has an advantage over the more popular street style as its impressive air tricks have greater television appeal. Also, BMX freestyle, another potential Olympic discipline, uses similar facilities. In addition, there are far less vert skateboarders, meaning the discipline would be far easier to manage. But Eddie Goh, the Asian representative of the International Skateboarding Federation, believes making an exclusively vertical-style Olympic competition would be a mistake that would alienate street-stylists. 'This is exactly what I think is wrong with whoever is organising the skateboarding event in the Olympics,' Goh says. 'They shouldn't solely do vert. This is more for TV than anything else.' Goh estimated that about 90 per cent of skateboarders skated street style, with the other 10 per cent preferring vert. The process for a standalone sport to gain entry into the Olympics usually takes seven years. However, skateboarding would become a discipline under the International Cycling Union, meaning it could bypass that process. 'Not every skateboarder wants it to be in the Olympics,' Goh says. 'But if it is going to be, we would rather manage it ourselves than have some other body do it for us.' Still, if the IOC's plan is to attract a younger audience, then adding skateboarding might help them succeed. 'Yeah, I'll watch,' Hong Kong skateboarder Brandon Young Shung-shuen, 16, says. 'Even if it's vert.'