Police may use force if workers are attacked while dismantling Queen's Pier Police may use force if they are attacked when government workers dismantle Queen's Pier, possibly before the end of this month, Development Secretary Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor warned yesterday. 'I pledge that we will not use violence to cordon off the pier area,' she told a Legislative Council panel. 'It is not the usual way we do things.' But she added an attack would prompt different tactics. Mrs Lam said the government was still open to options as to where to rebuild the 54-year-old pier. Mrs Lam, who promised to meet the activists on Sunday in a public forum, said the government would clear the pier area to avoid further delays in the Central reclamation project. A government report released last Wednesday set the timetable for the demolition. Mrs Lam also indicated that public consultation could be extended beyond this year if necessary, but that statement brought criticism from lawmakers at a joint legislative panel meeting on planning, lands and works and heritage conservation. Legislator Choy So-yuk queried if it was a tactic to disengage the concern groups. 'It is very worrying,' she said. 'If there is something that the government wants to do, they can always do it with high speed. 'Why is it that the consultation, targeted to end in June, was extended to the end of this year and might be further extended? 'Is it a means to dishearten the legislators and student activists, who may have already graduated by the end of the consultation?' Mrs Lam said the consultation was divided into stages, and the possible delay in its final conclusion could provide more flexibility for the government to listen to different opinions. 'We hope to produce some models to show the public different relocation proposals,' she said. 'The targeted end for the consultation by the end of this year is not a definite deadline.' Activist group Local Action said earlier it would not rule out confronting the police to stop the dismantling, similar to what happened with the Star Ferry pier last year. Yesterday the group, whose members have been camping at the pier for three months, presented a piece of cake shaped like Queen's Pier to Mrs Lam after the meeting. They also urged her to provide a date and a time for the clear-off action. 'The bureau chief promised to meet us and the public in Queen's Pier on Sunday, but at the same time indicated that they would take action to cordon off the area,' the group said in a statement. 'Where is her sincerity in establishing communication?' The government announced last week that the pieces would be temporarily stored on Lantau Island, near Silvermine Bay. They are expected to stay there for at least two years until a final plan is released.